What is the Aeronautical Frequency Committee?
The AFC is an ASRI-sponsored industry committee comprised of major and regional commercial aircraft operators, service providers and aviation associations representing all users of the VHF and HF Aeronautical Enroute spectrum.
The AFC’s primary role is to formulate policies and recommendations relating to the allocation, assignment and efficient use of the VHF and HF Aeronautical Enroute frequency spectrum. These policies and recommendations take effect only upon adoption by the ASRI Board of Directors.
The committee also reviews the wider regulatory issues affecting all aviation spectrum, both in the USA, and internationally. These opinions are then taken by ASRI to the relevant ICAO, ITU-R, and FCC meetings to ensure US Commercial Aviation maintains a voice in these matters.
Nominations for membership are submitted to the AFC Executive Secretary by certificated air carriers, or organizations representing a constituency which is eligible to use Aeronautical Enroute frequencies. Upon approval by the AFC membership, nominations are recommended to the ASRI Board of Directors for confirmation.
Participating Aeronautical Frequency Committee Organizations
- Airlines for America (A4A)
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)
- ARINC/Rockwell Collins IMS
- Aviation Spectrum Resources, Inc. (ASRI)
- Boeing Corporation
- Bristow Helicopters
- Delta Airlines
- Era Helicopters
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Federal Express (FedEx)
- Frontier Airlines
- Harris Corporation
- Helicopter Association International (HAI)
- Helicopter Safety Advisory Conference (HSAC)
- International Air Transport Association (IATA)
- JetBlue Airways
- National Air Transportation Association (NATA)
- PHI, Inc.
- Societe Internationale de Telecommunications Aeronautique (SITA)
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines
- United Parcel Service (UPS)
For more information, specific requests or to get answers to your questions, please submit a Service Request Form or call 410-266-6030.